Wednesday 8th July

Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs 3D

Director: Carlos Saldanha, Mike Thurmeier
Year: 2009
Stars: John Leguizamo, Queen Latifah, Denis Leary, Simon Pegg

After having watched Coraline in 3D I had high hopes for this. However, I did recognise it was the third film in a trilogy, so may well be a little disappointed.

First off, the film isn't bad. If you're a five year old, you'll probably quite enjoy it. There were even jokes in there that made me titter. But it's nothing special, and the 3D elements are absolutely not utilised to their full effect.

Of course, there's no way that dinosaurs can exist in a world after cavemen existed. Ice Age 3 does at least attempt to get around this by claiming there's a whole other world under the ice. It's perhaps not the best explanation, but at least it is one. Otherwise the story is pretty predictable - the gang loses a friend, and has to go and rescue him. It's never quite that simple (it is Ice Age, after all) but that's the basic idea.

It takes a while for the story to pick up (a 90 minute film having boring bits is surely a sign that the franchise has reached it's end), and all of the 3D elements involve racing down snow slopes or things running at you - and even these don't happen all that often.

Watchable, but only if you have nothing better to do. And if you want an amazing first 3D experience, this isn't it.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.