Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan: Film #85 of Film 365

Sunday 30th October 2011

Director: Larry Charles
Year: 2006
Stars: Sacha Baron Cohen, Ken Davitian

I wasn't entirely sure whether I was going to enjoy this or not. I've heard a lot about it, and I got the impression I probably wouldn't be offended - but might not find it particularly funny either.

Well, I was right about not being offended - it's impossible to take offence when everybody in a movie becomes a stereotype, whether they are a Christian, a student, rich, or a rodeo member (I could go on....). It just makes it ridiculous, and therefore funny.

You probably don't need to know much about the plot. Borat, a Kazakh TV talking head, goes to the US to learn from the country and report back to Kazakhstan. You can probably guess the rest...

The comedy isn't terrible - there are definitely some humorous moments in here. But I also can't say I found it laugh-out-loud hilarious. Not something to watch with your mum, but not something to avoid at all costs either.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.