Orphan: Film #82 of Film 365

Thursday 20th October 2011

Director: Jaume Collet-Serra
Year: 2009
Stars: Vera Farmiga, Peter Sarsgaard, Isabelle Fuhrman, Jimmy Bennett, Aryana Engineer

I had wanted to see this for a while, as I had heard good things about it, but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. It was billed as a horror, but for me it felt more like a psychological thriller. That's not necessarily a bad thing - it's just that the theme was more 'disturbed kid' than 'scary kid'.

The basic premise of Orphan is that Kate and John Coleman lose a child, so decide to adopt Esther - a kid they find in an orphanage who seems pretty sweet - at least in their eyes. Really, she's just kind of creepy.

Orphan is actually a pretty enjoyable movie, as long as you don't start watching it with false expectations. If you want a scary jump-out-your-seat horror movie, this isn't for you. If you want something more psychological, then you'll likely enjoy it.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.