New Moon: Film #83 of Film 365

Friday 21st October

Director: Chris Weitz
Year: 2009
Stars: Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart, Taylor Lautner, Billy Burke, Anna Kendrick, Ashley Greene, Peter Facinelli, Michael Sheen, Dakota Fanning

After my Twilight post, you'll probably have guessed I was rather keen to see the next two movies in the saga (and the Breaking Dawn movies of course, but I'm going to have to wait for them...). After a ridiculously long wait (and it actually was long - not just "I really can't wait for this so it seems long"), the Twilight saga blu rays made it through my letterbox on Friday morning. So guess what my Friday evening involved? In fairness, I only watched New Moon - it didn't seem fair on Dan to inflict that and Eclipse on him in one go...

For those of you who don't know the story, read the book. And for those of you who don't want to read the book, I'm sure you don't care enough about what the story is anyway. It involves humans, and vampires, and werewolves. It's like an Americanised, PG-13, version of Being Human with more teen angst (note: Being Human fans may well hate Twilight. They may not. I love both).

In fairness, I didn't enjoy New Moon as much as Twilight. Like the book, it's harder to love initially. But the book has grown on me a lot, and I think the film will too. I still enjoyed it enough to willingly give it repeated viewings. I also think that part of the reason I didn't love the film initially is that Twilight was new, and very exciting. I've now read all the books and know I love the Twilight saga. You're far less likely to enjoy (or want to watch) New Moon unless you already care.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.