The Duchess: Film #63 of Film 365

Friday 26th August 2011

Director: Saul Dibb
Year: 2008
Stars: Keira Knightley, Ralph Fiennes, Dominic Cooper, Hayley Atwell

I've seen this before. I didn't realise this until ten minutes into the movie, so it can't have been that memorable. It was enjoyable enough to watch again though, so it also can't be that bad.

The Duchess follows Georgiana as she marries the Duke of Devonshire. She becomes The Duchess of Devonshire, and is loved by the public, but has a loveless marriage.

This could have been a great film, but for some reason it's just OK. That may be to do with the chemistry between the characters - somehow, there just isn't any. There are also a few too many lingering shots of Keira Knightley for my liking. I don't especially dislike her, but it did get a bit tiring after a while. I also hated Ralph Fiennes in this - he just plays such an awful, nasty man. Now, he's meant to be like that, so clearly he acted the part very well, but he is just so dislikeable here.

Not a bad movie, but one that could just have been so much better.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.