Together Again for the First Time: Film #64 of Film 365

Friday 26th August 2011

Director: Jeff Parkin
Year: 2008
Stars: Julia Duffy, David Ogdfen Stiers, Kirby Heyborne, Blake Bashoff, Kelly Stables, Lauren Storm, Michelle Page, Joey Lawrence, Larisa Oleynik

A Christmas movie in August? Why not? Clearly, Channel 5 thought the same thing because this was only broadcast a couple of weeks ago. In fairness, it's not really as cheery as most Christmas movies, so perhaps isn't what people want to watch in mid December.

Together Again for the First Time is all about a dysfunctional family coming back home to be with their mother and stepdad (or dad and stepmum, depending upon the character), and just trying to get along. As you might expect with any cheesy Christmas movie, everybody hates each other until the final overly sentimental half an hour. But along the way there are sons taking drugs, siblings have full-on arguments and people struggling with their jobs.

There's nothing special here. But then, you have to remember that this was shown on Channel 5 at 3pm on a Friday afternoon. It's a TV movie and as such it's OK, but don't go out of your way to watch it.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.