The Heartbreak Kid: Film # 15 of Film 365

Saturday 2nd April 2011

Director: Bobby Farrelly, Peter Farelly
Year: 2007
Stars: Ben Stiller, Malin Akerman, Michelle Monaghan, Jerry Stiller

I wasn't sure about this movie. Dan had quite definitely stated he'd rather I watched it without him, so I started watching it when he was at work.

The Heartbreak Kid is about a Eddie (Stiller), a man who marries a woman in haste and then comes to regret it on their honeymoon. It's a remake of a 1972 film, and I could really see an older, better film hiding somewhere in this one. I wished I was watching that original movie, which I imagine had the interesting plot of this but without all the really crass comedy.

Not to say the movie is bad - at least for the most part. Whilst not necessarily liking many of the characters, I could sympathise with them, at least to some extent. Until, that is, the final scene - I really, really wish that hadn't been in there.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.