Breaking and Entering: Film #16 of Film 365

Sunday 3rd April 2011

Director: Anthony Mingella
Year: 2006
Stars: Jude Law, Robin Wright, Martin Freeman, Juliette Binoche, Rafi Gavron

Here's another film that's been sitting waiting to be watched for over a year. Again, I don't really know why as I've been wanting to see this since it got released.

Here, Jude Law plays Will, a man whose company keeps getting burgled in a short period of time. Determined to find out who is doing it, he stakes out his office at night and follows one of the young burglars home. This leads (in a round-about way) to him having an affair with the burglar's mother. However, he's a not-especially-happily married man with a difficult daughter.

It's an interesting premise that doesn't turn into as obvious a film as you might expect. Although the film is very watchable, what makes it hard to like a lot is the fact that you never really know where Will is coming from, or what his motivation for doing anything is. Perhaps that's the point - he doesn't necessarily know his motivation. But it means there are no characters in the movie that are easy to like, and therefore nobody to empathise with. An intriguing story, but it needed a little more human connection.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.