February 2011 films

This month started off well. By the middle of the month I'd seen six of this month's 8 films. The second half of February has been a lot busier, and there's been a lot less time for film watching (and no time at all for cinema-going). that's not to say that all of the movies I watched early in the month were good, of course. Here's a full list:
  • American Psycho (2000) - 3 stars
  • The Time Travellers Wife (2009) - 2.5 stars
  • True Grit (2010) - 4 stars
  • The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) - 3 stars
  • Black Swan (2011) - 3 stars
  • The Red Shoes (1948) - 2 stars
  • Blades of Glory (2007) - 4 stars
  • Flightplan (2005) - 3 stars
There were a lot of just, well, OK movies this month, scoring a fairly respectable (but not overwhelming) 3 stars. Two films stand out as possible Films of the Month though - Blades of Glory and True Grit. Both of these were surprising in their own way (I hadn't expected to enjoy either of them anywhere near as much as I did), but True Grit just about takes the honours. It's a very memorable film, and a well-told story. Special mention has to go to Hailee Steinfield, whose brilliant performance I just can't get out of my head.

There are a couple of contenders for Film not to waste your time on too. Whilst The Time Travellers Wife was disappointing after having read the book, the biggest let-down for me was probably The Red Shoes. I know it is loved (revered, even) by many, but I just couldn't see it. It just felt boring to me.

Film of the month: True Grit
Film not to waste your time on: The Red Shoes

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.