American Psycho

Saturday 26th February 2011

Director: Mary Harron
Year: 2000
Stars: Christian Bale, Chloe Sevigny, Reese Witherspoon, Jared Leto, Willem Dafoe

I recorded this off TV some time ago, in the knowledge that I may well have seen it before. I wasn't sure though - and knew that, if I had, my only real memory of it was a Texas Chainsaw Massacre-inspired moment. It's funny what you remember.

I was right on both counts. I had seen it before, but some years ago. None of this is to say it's a bad movie - just that I watched it a long time ago. Although I'm still torn as to how much I like it. It has some very bizarre scenes, and parts of it are very cleverly done. And I do tend to like a movie that can make me laugh at a serial killer.

The problem for me though, is in how you're meant to interpret the movie. The first time I watched this I watched it alone, and never even imagined there was more than one interpretation. This time I watched it with Dan, and his interpretation was entirely different to my original one. I'm coming to the conclusion that his interpretation is the intended one (or perhaps the intention really is for you to question the filmmakers intention?), but I'm not sure if any of this makes me like the film more or less. I think I need to read the book to see if that gives me any more answers. Or maybe go back to film school.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.