4: Rise of the Silver Surfer: Film #3 of Film 365

Tuesday 16th March 2011

Director: Tim Story
Year: 2007
Stars: Ioan Gruffudd, Chris Evans, Jessica Alba, Michael Chiklis, Laurence Fishburne (voice), Doug Jones

I'm still going... I will give this idea one thing - it seems that I'm certainly going to watch a good variety of movies in the coming months. I've just been watching movies from the bottom of our recorded list for the time being, and in three days I've seen a contemporary drama, a 1950s melodrama and a superhero movie. I'm enjoying the variety if nothing else!

It probably won't surprise you to learn that "4: Rise of the Silver Surfer" is your standard superhero action movie. If you've seen any superhero movie before, you know what you're about to get here.

This is the second of the Fantastic Four films, and this time around the Fantastic Four have to deal with a (you guessed it) silver surfer who appears to be slowly destroying Earth. The movie plays it totally straight, and has none of the edge of, for example, the new Batman movies. Not to say this is a bad movie - there is, at least, a plot, and some of the graphics are very cool indeed.

Although I have discovered why I always fall asleep in the last 20 mins of action movies - it's because the explanations for what has gone before are rubbish. This time around I didn't fall asleep, and the explanation for the silver surfer's actions was hazy to say the least. I really don't think this is uncommon, so the next time I fall asleep at the end of an action movie, I'll accept that I've missed nothing. It might be a bit more of a problem if I'm watching a thriller or film noir.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.