Blades of Glory

Saturday 5 February 2011

Director: Josh Gordon, Will Speck
Year: 2007
Stars: Will Ferrell, Jon Heder

Well, this was a pleasant surprise. Another movie that had been waiting some time to be watched, this afternoon Dan wanted a "Saturday afternoon movie". A brightly coloured comedy seemed to fit the bill, even if I was a little sceptical about how much I was going to enjoy it - I'm not particularly known for my love of Will Ferrell.

I needn't have worried. I found this so funny, it had me in fits for half of the movie. It's completely tongue in cheek, knows exactly what it is, and doesn't take itself at all seriously. There's even a plot, if you're willing to pay attention to it. It's simple and involves a new all-male ice skating partnership, but it works. I even found myself rooting for the good guys - something I find easy not to do in many Hollywood movies (especially the comedies).

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.