The Red Shoes

Sunday 6th February 2011

Director: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger
Year: 1948
Stars: Moira Shearer, Marius Goring, Anton Wallbrook

This has been sat waiting to be watched for some time - mostly because of what I was afraid the film might be. I know it's meant to be a wonderful, beautifully visual classic, but I was worried it would essentially just be two hours of ballet.

Unfortunately, I was right. There is a semblance of a plot (girl wants to be a ballet dancer, boy wants to be an opera conductor - you can guess the rest, and after the ballet scene, you'll know the rest), but essentially it's two hours of ballet. That's not to say there aren't some visually stunning scenes - the ballet itself especially has some stunning moments. But, for me, they belong in a piece of visual art, not a movie.

I know it's probably controversial, but I just found the whole thing a little, well, boring.

Rating: 2 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.