January 2011 films

Finally, a month with time to watch plenty of movies in! This may have something to do with me having very little planned this month of course, but at least I got some movies watched. Although there were still only 2 cinema visits (The King's Speech and The Chronicles of Narnia):
  • Cars (2006) - 3 stars
  • The Girl Next Door (2004) - 3.5 stars
  • Connie and Carla (2004) - 4 stars
  • I Do (But I Don't) (2004) - 3 stars
  • Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging (2008) - 3 stars
  • Young Guns (1988) - 5 stars
  • The King's Speech (2010) - 4 stars
  • Logan's Run (1976) - 3 stars
  • I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry (2007) - 3 stars
  • Vampires: Los Muertos (2002) - 2.5 stars
  • Hart's War (2002) - 3.5 stars
  • The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009) - 4 stars
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawntreader (2010) - 3 stars
  • Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) - 1.5 stars
The quality of all these movies varies considerably - from the wonderfully written The King's Speech (with some great dialogue) to the confusing, yet fun, The Girl Next Door, to the truly dire and hard-to-sit-through Forgetting Sarah Marshall (and certainly a disappointing way to start off my movie year).

Having said that, Film of the Month and Film not to waste your time on aren't that difficult. Forgetting Sarah Marshall really was rubbish (even when compared to Vampires: Los Muertos - which, whilst not great, did at least have vampires and Jon Bon Jovi in it), and, perhaps unsurprisingly, Young Guns is my film of the month. It was probably always going to be.

Although special mention does have to go to The Men Who Stare at Goats. This is a movie with such an odd sense of humour that, in most months, it would have been my Film of the Month. Unless, of course, I happen to watch Young Guns (or any of my other beloved '80s movies) that month.

Film of the Month: Young Guns
Film not to waste your time on: Forgetting Sarah Marshall

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.