Sunday 31st January

Cars

Director: John Lasseter, Joe Ranft
Year: 2006
Stars: Owen Wilson, Paul Newman, Bonnie Hunt, Larry the Cable Guy (voices)

This has been waiting for about a month to be watched, because, although I tend to like Pixar movies, this one didn't get the most positive reviews. I still wanted to see it to judge for myself though.

Things didn't start off well. The first 10 minutes of the movie involved watching Lightning McQueen (a very fast race car) race around a track. I don't choose to watch real race cars do this, so I'm not sure why I'd want to watch an animated car do the same thing.

Things improve a bit when the story gets going properly, and McQueen ends up in Radiator Springs, a town on Route 66 which has lost all its custom due to the building of an interstate which completely bypasses the town.

There aren't really any surprises here, and the outcome for pretty much every character is fairly obvious within 5 minutes of being introduced to them, but it's still fairly watchable (after the first 10 or 15 minutes). It's a weak effort from the makers of films such as Toy Story, but you could still do a lot worse if you're looking for a random Sunday afternoon movie.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.