Sunday 19th December 2010

Mrs. Miracle

Director: Michael Scott
Year: 2009
Stars: James Van der Beek, Erin Karpluk, Doris Roberts

This is the first movie I've watched all month - it's just been a bit crazy recently! On the (perhaps) bright side, it was a Christmas movie; so at least it put me in the right mood!

As Christmas movies go, it's not a bad one. There's nothing particularly special about it, but it's not overly sentimental and it's not full of cute kids. It does have kids, but the focus is, for once, actually on the adults. Seth Webster (Van Der Beek) is a widow with two six year olds he can't control. However, this all changes when a new nanny - Mrs. Murkle - appears.

Yes, it's all very Mary Poppins. No, it's nothing like as good as Mary Poppins. Mrs. Miracle herself generally annoyed me and it all felt a bit obvious. But thankfully the film spends a lot of time focussing on Seth and his inevitable love interest, Reba Maxwell (Erin Karpluk), make it more of a romance than a frustrating Christmas movie.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.