Monday 27th December 2010

Stranger than Fiction

Director: Marc Forster
Year: 2006
Stars: Will Ferrell, Emma Thompson, Dustin Hoffman, Maggie Gyllenhaal

I wasn't 100% sure about this movie. It was on on Christmas Day, but at the same time as Dr. Who, so we recorded it to watch a couple of days later. Reviewed as being an existential comedy, it's the kind of movie that I either love, if well done, or hate if it's rammed down your throat in a nonsensical way.

Thankfully, Stranger than Fiction fits into the former category. Harold Crick (Will Ferrell) is a character in Karen Eiffel's (Emma Thompson) book, but is actually also a real person living in a real life. When he discovers that he might soon die, he has to find the author of his life and convince her not to kill him.

This is an interesting premise, cleverly written and with plenty of funny moments along the way. And somehow it manages to do all this without causing your brain to go into meltdown. Just right for some post-Christmas thought.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.