Wednesday 26th May

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans

Director: Werner Herzog
Year: 2010
Stars: Nicolas Cage, Eva Mendes, Val Kilmer

This is odd. That's probably the best analysis I can give it. Once again inspired by some very positive reviews, I thought I'd give it a go at the cinema. Not having seen the first film, I had nothing to compare it too - although reviews seemed to generally agree that basically it was nothing like the first movie, and not really a remake at all, but more of an original film.

The film follows Terence (Cage) after he has injured his back, and has resorted to taking drugs whilst still working in the police force and investigating murders.

In some ways this is a very hard film to like, mainly because the main character is so unlikeable. Having said that, Cage somehow manages to pull this off, and whilst you will dislike Terence, you'll more than likely also think he's a luck bugger and not really begrudge him that. Not a bad movie at all, but one that can be hard to like at times.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.