Sunday 2nd May 2010

The Kite Runner

Director: Marc Forster
Year: 2007
Stars: Khalid Abdalla, Zekeria Ebrahimi, Homayoun Ershadi, Shaun Toub, Ahmad Khan Mahmoodzada, Atossa Leoni

A film I've wanted to see since it was released, it was an unexpected treat to get to see this at a friend's house after spending the day climbing a Welsh mountain!

The story follows the life of Amir, an Afghan boy whose mother dies giving birth to him. Whilst the story follows his life up until middle age, to say much more may be to give away too much. Whilst little of the information would give away any significant plot details, the less you know of Amir's journey before the film begins the more interested you're likely to be.

Having said that, I read the book long before I watched the movie and still thoroughly enjoyed the film, although I knew what was going to happen long before it did. The Kite Runner was one of very few novels where I've been able to remember the details long after I've read the book - usually I've forgotten stories within 6 months of reading them.

This film doesn't necessarily have all the qualities of a truly great movie, but it is watchable and remains faithful to what is an excellent novel - something that often doesn't happen. It's not a movie to cheer you up, but certainly is one to make you think.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.