April 2010 films

It's been a pretty quiet month for me film-wise. Partially because, at least towards the end of the month, there simply hasn't been that much on I've wanted to see at the cinema, and partially because I've just been doing other things with my time. Still, there are 7 films to choose a best and worst from, and it's a pretty diverse list - including 2 cinema visits, a Western, a romantic comedy, a fantasy...
  • The Ghost Writer (2010)
  • The Magnificent Seven (1960)
  • Valiant (2005)
  • Control (2007)
  • Kick-Ass (2010)
  • In Her Shoes (2005)
  • Eragon (2006)
Picking a Film of the Month is actually quite hard here. None of the movies stood out as amazing, but three certainly fitted into the "good" category. However, after re-reading my previous reviews, Kick-Ass just nudges into lead position. In Her Shoes was very enjoyable, and The Magnificent Seven had an excellent beginning and end, but Kick Ass managed to do something original and very enjoyable.

Film not to waste your time on is also pretty difficult. Whilst 3 films vie for last place, none of them are truly bad. Eragon was fun, but clearly aimed at young boys, and both Valiant and The Ghost Writer were pretty average and a little dull (not sure whether the fact that Ewan McGregor was in both of them is significant here). Again, having re-read my reviews, Valiant just loses the battle. It was just that little bit duller than the others. Having said that, none of them were truly bad movies and are unlikely to make Worst film of the year.

Film of the Month: Kick Ass
Film not to waste your time on: Valiant

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.