Wednesday 7th April 2010

Kick-Ass

Director: Matthew Vaughn
Year: 2010
Stars: Aaron Johnson, Chloe Moretz, Nicolas Cage

I had read good reviews of this, which made me quite keen to see it. However, I was still a little sceptical - after all, it's still just a super hero movie right?

Aaron Johnson plays Dave Lizewski, a guy who can't understand why nobody has ever tried to be a superhero in real life, so eventually ends up doing it himself. Unbeknownst to him, there are two "actual" superheroes (Cage and Moretz) fighting the criminals.

If you're willing to suspend disbelief and all sense of political correctness, this is great fun. Yes, there is an 11 year old girl swearing. Yes, people get hurt in very gruesome ways. But it all looks like a superhero movie and plays excellently on those conventions. And at times it is very, very funny. Sit back, relax and enjoy it for what it is.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.