Saturday 10th April 2010

Control

Director: Anton Corbijn
Year: 2007
Stars: Sam Riley, Samantha Morton

I didn't know much about Ian Curtis or Joy Division before watching this. Obviously I knew some of their more famous songs, and a very limited amount about the lead singer. So when Dan suggested we watch this I didn't really mind, but had never really been that bothered about seeing it either.

The film follows Curtis as he finishes school, gets married and becomes the lead singer of Joy Division. It's made in black and white, but after a short while you simply stop noticing - for some reason, it just works here.

I certainly know a lot more about Ian Curtis now than I did before I saw the film. However, if you're a fan of Joy Division you probably knew most of this already. The film isn't bad and looks good, and the acting is good too, but there's nothing here that means I'll remember the film above any other in a few weeks time.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.