Thursday 18th March 2010

A Single Man

Director: Tom Ford
Year: 2009
Stars: Colin Firth, Nicholas Hoult, Julianne Moore, Matthew Goode

I was keen to go and see this as it had been recommended by a number of my friends. So keen, in fact, that Dan and I went to the very last showing of it in any cinema in Bristol, and we were the only ones in the theatre.

The film follows George (Firth) in what he has decided will be his final day in this world, as he can't cope with the death of his lover some months before.

I have to say, I was a little disappointed. Perhaps the fact that it had been raved about so much had increased my expectations a little too highly, but the whole thing just seemed a little too self-indulgent and, well, convenient - the ending especially. It's not a bad movie, I've just seen much better. I know that if I had been watching it at home I would have been fidgeting - a lot.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.