Saturday 20th March 2010

Alice in Wonderland (3D)

Director: Tim Burton
Year: 2010
Stars: Mia Wasikowska, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Anne Hathaway

I've wanted to see this since it came out, being a fan of most Tim Burton and Johnny Depp films, whether they are collaborations or made independently of one another. I'd heard mixed reviews though - some people feeling it was a bit too obviously "blue-screened", and others saying if you liked the book you wouldn't be so keen on the film. Thankfully, I've never liked the book so had no problems with any poetic licence they wished to take.

The film tells the story of Alice (Wasikowska), who (as you will probably know) falls down a rabbit hole and ends up in Wonderland. There, she has to decide whether or not she can fight the jabberwocky so that the White Queen (Hathaway) can take her rightful place as Queen of Wonderland. On the way, she meets a host of other characters including the Mad Hatter (Depp), the Chesire Cat (voiced by Stephen Fry), the White Rabbit (voiced by Michael Sheen) and Dormouse (voiced by Barbara Windsor). And yes, there is a lot of British vocal talent in there!

The most notable thing about this film is it's style. That's not a criticism - it's just an incredibly visual film, and looks stunning. Without this, the film just wouldn't work as well as it does. There is a plot, but it's not really better than many other films. I loved the 3D touches, which I thought really made the film look as good as it could, but there was some disagreement amongst those I was with as to whether or not it was really necessary. I guess the only way to really know that is to watch it in 2D as well!

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.