Sunday 7th March 2010

Seraphim Falls

Director: David von Ancken
Year: 2006
Stars: Pierce Brosnan, Liam Neeson

We started to watch this quite late on Saturday night, and I almost instantly fell asleep. In my defence a) I was tired and didn't realise quite how tired, b) it's really quite a slow film and c) there's not a LOT of talking to keep you engaged.

The film follows Gideon (Brosnan) as he tries to escape Carver (Neeson), who is hunting him down. We don't know why, but there are plenty of clues to let you know there's more to the story than meets the eye - the main question being who is really the bad guy here?

It's a slow movie, but it's not a bad one. It's good to see a new Western movie, something there aren't much of these days. Although there isn't much talking, there are plenty of visual cues and it's a stunning movie to look at. One of the scenes that sticks in my mind is simply one of a beautiful sky. Perhaps not the best movie you'll ever see, but different to a lot of what exists at the moment, and worth a look for that at least.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.