Saturday 6th February 2010

Music and Lyrics

Director: Marc Lawrence
Year: 2007
Stars: Hugh Grant, Drew Barrymore

This was a bit of a random choice. I saw it was on TV and thought it sounded like something fun to watch - I didn't know much about it other than that it was a romantic comedy.

Hugh Grant is Alex Fletcher, a man who was a popstar in the 80s but has since become a has-been. When he gets asked to write a song for the pop singer of the moment, he ends up asking Sophie Fisher (Barrymore) for help with the lyrics.

The film is good fun mostly because it's very tongue-in-cheek. Whilst the romance elements are mostly played straight, the music industry is very much taken with a pinch of salt. This, combined with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore playing roles they have both played before, and can play well, makes for a fun film. Not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but an enjoyable Saturday night in.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.