January 2010 films

January 2010 has been quite a diverse month for films. There have been cartoons (often left over from Christmas), 3D movies at the cinema, romances, thrillers and war movies amongst others. Thankfully, almost all the movies have scored highly, only a couple standing out as particularly bad.
  • Aladdin (1992) - 4 stars
  • Black Book (2006) - 4 stars
  • Dr Zhivago (1965) - 4 stars
  • Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006) - 4 stars
  • The Road (2009) - 4 stars
  • Children of Men (2006) - 5 stars
  • Up in the Air (2009) - 4 stars
  • King Arthur (2004) - 1.5 stars
  • Avatar (2009) - 4 stars
  • Death Defying Acts (2007) - 2.5 stars
  • The Holiday (2006) - 3 stars
  • Happy Feet (2006) - 4 stars
  • Sherlock Holmes (2009) - 2 stars
  • Bridge to Terabithia (2007) - 4 stars
The amount of 4 star movies means that picking a Film of the Month should be really hard. Depending upon your mood and taste in films, I would happily recommend any of the 4 star movies (and you could pick from children's movies, cartoons, 3D action, romance, thrillers, classics or war movies). However, one film stands out as the Film of the Month, and that means it comes very highly recommended. That film is Children of Men - for it's well-thought out, frightening plot and the ability it has to make me happily watch it over and over again.

Film not to waste your time on is easier. Whilst Sherlock Holmes is just boring and Death Defying Acts has nothing memorable about it, King Arthur is simply awful. The plot is terrible, the facts are wrong and the whole film is an excuse for some badly thought out battles. I'm not sure if the fact that Clive Owen stars in both my Film of the Month and My Film not to waste your time on is ironic or not...

Film of the Month: Children of Men
Film not to waste your time on: King Arthur

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.