Thursday 17th December 2009

Freedom Writers

Director: Richard LaGravenese
Year: 2007
Stars: Hilary Swank, Imelda Staunton, Patrick Dempsey, Eva Benitez, Mario

I've seen this type of movie a number of times before. It's basically a teacher-makes-a-bunch-of-no-hoper-high-schoolers come good. However, I normally enjoy these types of movies, at least to some degree, and something about the description in the TV guide caught my eye with this one - although not sure what!

Hilary Swank is Erin Gruwell, a first time teacher at a rough high school who wants to do the best she can by the kids there. Whilst nothing completely original is said, it is one of the better examples in the genre. And the use of anti-semitism to make a point (instead of focusing solely on the standard black racism) is a nice, unique touch.

Nothing you haven't seen, in some shape or other, before, but well done - possibly due in part to the fact that this is based on a true story.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.