Sunday 13th December 2009

A guide to recognizing your saints

Director: Dito Montiel
Year: 2007
Stars: Robert Downey Jr., Shia LeBoeuf, Dianne Wiest, Channing Tatum, Chazz Palminteri

A word of warning... as of today I caught a horrible cold. So bad, there were 2 things I wanted to do: sleep, and watch TV (movies would do). As the days progressed, those 2 things turned into 3 - playing Mario Kart on the Wii being the third. Anyway, what this means is that during the week of 13th-20th Dec, I watched quite a lot of films. So there are going to be quite a lot of posts about them on this blog... I'll try to only upload one or two at a time so you don't get inundated!

The first "victim", if you like, was A guide to recognizing your saints. This was one of the movies that had been sat on our computer having been recorded for some time. Still trying to avoid all the horror films (I'm going to have to watch them eventually), I thought a coming of age drama sounded acceptable.

That's probably about the best word I can use to describe it. There's not really anything here that you haven't seen before. It tells the true story of Dito Montiel, a boy born in New York in the 1980s, who eventually escapes to California. The fact that it's true makes it, perhaps, a little more worthwhile, but I've seen this done before, and better.

My favourite part of the movie? Those quiet, smouldering looks Robert Downey Jr. keeps giving as the older Dito. Yes, this movie made me that shallow.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.