Monday 14th December 2009

Inside I'm Dancing

Director: Damien O'Donnell
Year: 2004
Stars: James McAvoy, Steven Robertson, Romola Garai

This is another movie that I've been wanting to watch for a while. It's been sat having been recorded waiting to be watched for some time now. I'm not sure why I never chose to watch it, I was just never really in the mood. Part of the reason I wanted to see it was because back in 2004 I got free tickets to see it at the cinema - but had to work that evening. I gave the tickets to Dan and a friend, and was informed that the film was really quite good. Well, it's only taken me 5 years to watch it.

Inside I'm Dancing tells the story of Michael Connolly and Rory O'Shea, two boys with physical disabilities. Whilst Michael appears quiet and unassuming, Rory is loud and outspoken. The film follows them through life as they fight for their independence, moving into their own flat and finding a home help.

Whilst the film could have been cloying and sentimental (perhaps one of the reasons I put off watching it for so long), it's actually really well written and acted, making you think about these characters and their lives whilst never reducing them to caricatures. Not perfect, but better than many.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.