Saturday 12th December 2009

Jingle all the Way

Director: Brian Levant
Year: 1996
Stars: Arnold Schwarzenegger

Feeling a bit coldy and sorry for myself, I decided I just wanted to watch bad Christmas movies. Admittedly, I don't normally need the excuse of a cold for that one, I just like watching bad Christmas movies...

And this was exactly what I was expecting. I know I've seen it before, but couldn't really remember it, so didn't mind watching it again. It's not the worst Christmas movie I've seen, and it starts off with a reasonable premise - Arnie needs to get his son a really popular toy and he's left it until Christmas Eve. Much madness ensures as he fights, begs and his bribes his way to (not) getting the toy.

The problem is in the last 15 minutes. Up until now, although mental, everything has at least been believable. The last 15 minutes of the plot descends into complete madness, things happening that are totally impossible. Clearly this section is aimed at kid's fantasies, but why bother making the first hour so believable if you can't be bothered in the last 15 minutes?!

Rating: 2 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.