Friday 11th December 2009

The Island

Director: Michael Bay
Year: 2005
Stars: Ewan McGregor, Scarlett Johansson, Sean Bean, Djimon Hounsou, Steve Buscemi

I wasn't expecting a lot from this. Knowing it was directed by "action-man" Michael Bay, very definitely an action film, and didn't receive great reviews when it got released, I thought I'd be getting lots of car chases, running and being blown up.

I certainly did get all of the above. However, I also got something that approached a plausible story (within the limits of the action world, of course) that seemed to make an acceptable amount of sense. McGregor and Johansson are Lincoln Six Echo and Jordan Two Delta respectively, two humans who are being kept underground as if they go outside they will become contaminated - or at least that's what they (and many others) are being told. What follows is their discovery of what's really happening to them, and, yes, lots of car chases, running and being blown up. Nothing wrong with that if you know it's what you're getting!

If you're looking for a decent action film, this isn't as bad a place to look as a lot of reviewers have suggested.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.