Sunday 1st November 2009

Dream Girls

Director: Bill Condon
Year: 2006
Stars: Jennifer Hudson, Jamie Foxx, Beyonce Knowles, Eddie Murphy, Keith Robinson

I'd heard a fair bit about this back in 2006 when Jennifer Hudson won an Oscar for her role as best supporting actress. I'd never really been too bothered about watching the film, but as it was on TV on a Sunday evening where I had nothing else on, I figured why not give it a try?

The film is based on a Broadway musical that tells the tale of the Dream Girls - three girls trying to make it in the world of music.

There's nothing really wrong with this movie. There's just also nothing at all special about it. Better, truer stories have been told about musicians which take the plot in this further, and turn what is a fluffy movie with nothing much to say into a powerful piece of art. Unfortunately, that's just not true here. You're left with the feeling that this could have been so much more, but all this really is a bunch of nice songs tacked together with some basic plot elements.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.