October 2009 films

October has been a bit of an eclectic month for movies. Not sure why, it's just that I've been watching things as and when they've appeared - I guess there have just been lots of other things happening! There have been a fair few cinema visits though - 4 in total, so approximately one a week. There does seem to have been quite a lot released that I've actually wanted to see this month.

The other great thing about this month is that I've actually enjoyed a lot of these films. As per Dan's recommendation from months ago now, I've started to put the rating alongside the film so you can see at a glance which are my favourite movies.
  • Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) - 5 stars
  • Up (3D) (2009) - 4.5 stars
  • Partly Cloudy (2009) - 4 stars
  • The Man Who Sued God (2001) - 3 stars
  • The Last King of Scotland (2006) - 4 stars
  • Straw Dogs (1971) - 3 stars
  • District 9 (2009) - 4 stars
  • Lilo and Stitch (2002) - 5 stars
  • Julie and Julia (2009) - 5 stars
  • Creation (2009) - 4 stars
  • You, Me and Dupree (2006) - 2 stars
  • Help! I'm a Fish (2000) - 3 stars
  • Birdman of Alcatraz (1962) - 5 stars
With 4 of the 13 movies scoring 5 stars, and another 5 scoring 4 or 4.5 stars, how am I ever going to pick my favourite?! Well, that's give it a try... whilst Birdman of Alcatraz was excellent, I don't really have any desire to watch it over and over again. The other three, however, I do. They are all very different films, but, for me, Sweeney Todd just edges past the other two - for it's complete inventiveness, mad brilliance, and general all-round darkness. That's not to take anything away from Julie and Julia or Lilo and Stitch, as they're both excellent in their own right - in fact I think it might say more about my taste than how good the films truly are.

Film not to waste your time on is a lot easier. This month seems to have been full of great movies, so there's only been the occasional disappointment. It was You, Me and Dupree. Your standard, by-the-numbers Hollywood rom-com. Not as bad as some, and at least watchable, it just can't compete with the other films on this month's list.

Film of the month: Sweeney Todd: The Demon of Barber of Fleet Street
Film not to waste your time on: You, Me and Dupree

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.