Wednesday 12th August

Moon

Director: Duncan Jones
Year: 2009
Stars: Sam Rockwell

I wasn't too sure about this one. I heard a few things about it, but it wasn't until I read some pretty convincing reviews (and no bad ones) that I was persuaded to see it - especially as the remaining choice at the cinema, excluding films I had already seen, was pretty dire.

I can't say much about the film without giving the plot away. Sam Rockwell, or Sam Bell, as he is in the film, is spending 3 years working on the moon before going back to his family. We meet him 2 weeks before he's due to head back to earth, and get to experience how he's feeling during these two weeks.

This is by no means a bad film. It's different, innovative and keeps you wondering about what's going to happen next. But it's not the amazing film all the reviewers seem to think it is. I know that if I had been at home I would have found it hard to stay attentive - the fact that I was forced to watch it, being sat in a cinema with nowhere else to go, actually helped here. There is a lot of insight here, but for the most part it's hidden under the surface. You have to want to see it, and think about it, to care. It is a clever film - it just doesn't show this off quite as much as perhaps it should.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.