Monday 10th August

Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Director: Alex Gibney
Year: 2008
Stars: Johnny Depp, Hunter S. Thompson

Having watched, and failed to understand any part of, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I did at least know who Hunter S.Thompson was. The fact that this purported to be a documentary about him got my attention, as I was hoping it might help me to understand Fear and Loathing… better; or at least a little bit.

Hunter S. Thompson, or Gonzo, as his alter-ego was known, was a journalist for Rolling Stone magazine. He was also incredibly self-destructive, and well-known for his drug-taking tendencies. This documentary is very non-judgmental however, and appears to simply try and tell the story of the man's life through the people who knew him.

Considering how bizarre his life must have been, this isn't the most interesting film. I certainly did learn something about the man (and now I know Fear and Loathing… is basically hard to understand because it's full of drug-induced sketches), but if you have never heard of him, and never really wanted to, it's hard to know how this film would manage to make you care.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.