Friday 14th August

The Prestige

Director: Christopher Nolan
Year: 2006
Stars: Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Michael Caine

I knew a little about this before watching it (in that I had heard of it), but not much about the actual story. So getting to see it was a pretty pleasant surprise.

Angier (Jackman) and Borden (Bale) are a pair of magicians who end up being major rivals due to a tragedy that occurs when they work together early in their careers. The film follows this rivalry, and the after effects of it. There are a number of twists and turns as the rivalry gets more and more intense.

A properly intelligent thriller, and one I certainly didn't figure out until it was explained to me at the end of the film. It was nice to watch something you had to put your brain properly in gear for for a change!

Rating: 5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.