Friday 21st August

I heart huckabees

Director: David O. Russell
Year: 2004
Stars: Jason Schwartzman, Jude Law, Dustin Hoffman, Mark Wahlberg, Lily Tomlin, Isabelle Huppert

I can honestly say I have no idea whether I enjoyed this or not. It has to be one of the oddest movies I have seen in a long time - possibly ever.

Schwartzman is Albert Markovski, a man who employs two existentialists to find out about the coincidence of him keeping running into the same African American porter. The two existentialists proceed to essentially ruin what he has of his life, dragging his competitor, Brad Stand (Law) into the mess as they go.

And yes, that is all as odd as it sounds. When watching it, the plot makes perfect sense, but does have it's fair share of "erm... OK" moments. However, it also has its fair share of properly amusing moments (as long as you're not an existentialist, in which case this film may well just make you angry) and is certainly memorable. I can't give it anything other than 3 stars because I still don't know what I think of it. And possibly never will.

Rating: 3 out of 3

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.