Sunday 23rd August

Fun with Dick and Jane

Director: Ted Kotcheff
Year: 1977
Stars: George Segal, Jane Fonda

I heard about this when it was re-made a couple of years ago, and all the reviews said the original was much better than the remake. So when I saw they were showing the original on TV, I thought I'd give it a try.

Dick and Jane are a happily married couple, living in their dream house with their child and dog. Everything is fine until Dick loses his job, and they can't cope with having so little money coming in. This is basically where the film starts, showing how they manage to acquire more money as they go from mad to madder situations.

It's a really enjoyable film, with some nice touches. I wasn't sure exactly how it was going to end, but it was incredibly satisfying. A film to keep you laughing, but also make you think a little.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.