Wednesday 19th August

Mesrine: Killer Instinct

Director: Jean-Francois Richet
Year: 2008
Stars: Vincent Cassel, Cecile de France, Gerard Depardieu

Another gangster movie, but this time a French one. I didn't know anything about it until reading a few film reviews, but the glowing reports convinced me it might be a film well worth seeing.

Mesrine is apparently well-known in France - the French Clyde or Diliinger of his day (although his day was a little later, primarily in the 1960s). The fact that I'd never heard of him, and I'm guessing a number of other members of the audience wouldn't have done, takes nothing away from how good this film is.

The film doesn't pretend Mesrine is something he's not, which is an excellent starting point. They're not afraid to show him as a dislikeable character, and they do a very good job of it. I was trying to think of something negative to say about the film, but I just can't. It's everything I wanted Public Enemies to be and more.

Rating: 5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.