Saturday 15th August

The Thing

Director: John Carpenter
Year: 1982
Stars: Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley, T.K Carter, Keith David

Another of those classic films that I've been meaning to watch for years. It finally got a showing on TV a couple of weeks ago, so I made an effort to watch it this time.

As horror films go, it's quite enjoyable - and perhaps not what you'd expect from your average horror; probably one of the reasons it's hailed so highly amongst many, and still popular today. The basic premise is that there's "something" attacking a group of US scientists at a base miles way from anywhere in the Antarctic. Whilst the special effects aren't bad for their time, the best part of the story (for me at least) was more to do with the psychological effect of not knowing who to trust when nobody might be what they say they are.

It's certainly not my favourite horror film of all time, but I can understand why so many people enjoyed it - and it's certainly not the worst horror film out there either!

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.