Monday 13th July

Coach Carter

Director: Thomas Carter
Year: 2005
Stars: Samuel L. Jackson

Needing a rest when I got home from work, I figured watching a recorded film was a useful way to spend my time. For some reason Coach Carter appealed - it just seemed a bit different from anything I had watched for a while, and perhaps an easier watch than some of the other recordings that lie waiting for me!

The film is based on a true story, about a basketball coach who takes over a losing team in a no-hope school in a bad area. You can guess the outcome, but because it's a true story, there are less unlikely sentimental moments than in other films of this type.

Because it is a true story, the film holds up pretty well. The acting is convincing, and the story never seems forced or fake. It's a pretty long film, but an engaging one that's worth sticking with.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.