Wednesday 24th June

The Hangover

Director: Todd Phillips
Year: 2009
Stars: Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Justin Bartha, Heather Graham

I wasn't sure what to expect from this. Part of me thought it sounded like it could be really funny, and the interviews and reviews I read gave me the impression it might actually be. The other part of me was worried it was going to be the same sort of crass, over-the-top "funny" humour that I'd seen in the 40 Year Old Virgin. Well, I gave in to my want to laugh and decided to go the cinema to find out...

Luckily, it was very much the former. Much more American Pie than 40 Year Old Virgin. Not in content, but in style. In fact, there were probably even fewer bad sex jokes in this one. The film has a neat idea - it's all about 4 guys who go on a stag do in Vegas, and what happens to them whilst there. The neat part is that you don't get to see what happens on their drunken night - only the after effects of it the next day. You're as clueless as they are about what happened the night before, which makes it all much more enjoyable.

Now, it probably helped that the cinema was packed when we were watching this. We're still not sure why, but there were virtually no seats left. Hearing everybody else laugh heartily probably meant that even the less funny jokes still seemed funny. Not to say I wouldn't enjoy this if watching it in my own living room - just perhaps a little less so.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.