Thursday 25th June

Domino

Director: Tony Scott
Year: 2005
Stars: Keira Knightley, Mickey Rourke, Edgar Ramirez, Delroy Lindo, Mo'Nique

The reviews weren't particularly kind about this when it was released, but the premise still intrigued me - and it sounded like it might be interesting.

Keira Knightley is Domino Harvey, a real life female bounty killer. The film claims to be based on a true story... sort of. I couldn't help but feel that if it had actually been based on the true story, it would have been so much better. There is so much promise here - so many things that, in the right hands, would have worked - and worked well. Unfortunately, Scott clearly wasn't the right director. Nor was Knightley the right actor. She feels like exactly what she is - a rich kid pretending to act like the bad girl, and doing it totally unconvincingly.

Even worse than all this are the Tarantino/ Rodriguez-esque moments, where there is music and shooting and pain. They have all the right elements, just put together very badly. It will make you cringe with distaste and wish you were watching Reservoir Dogs instead.

This could have been so good. But it's just not.

Rating: 2 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.