Wednesday 17th June

Prime

Director: Ben Younger
Year: 2005
Stars: Uma Thurman, Meryl Streep, Bryan Greenberg

I hadn't really heard of this until I saw it in the TV guide, but it looked vaguely entertaining so I thought I'd give it a try.

Well, vaguely entertaining about sums it up. It's not a bad movie, there's just nothing really there to highly recommend it. Dan pointed out that the way the sex scenes had been filmed were quite clearly done to ensure the film received a lower age rating (a 12, in this case) - but it was hard to see how anyone under the age of 25 would really care about the subject matter.

The film focuses on Rafi Gardet, a 37 year old divorcee who has started dating a 23 year old artist - who also happens to be her therapists son (not that she knows this). The situation does make for some humorous, if uncomfortable, moments - but perhaps not enough to build a full film on. And perhaps Dan and I are just more amenable in life, but the ending grated a little - at least it wasn't standard, though...

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.