June 2009 films

June has been pretty standard for me film-wise, what with having been to the cinema 2 or 3 times and otherwise watching films on TV as and when I felt the desire. The list below is what I've seen during the month:
  • Domino (2005)
  • The Hangover (2009)
  • Prime (2005)
  • Fantastic Four (2005)
  • The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005)
  • Paperback Hero (1999)
  • Drag me to Hell (2009)
  • The Contract (2006)
Once again, I'm doing very badly on my attempt to watch older films - I don't think the late '90s counts as classic! I'm still on a mission to get a large pile of films we've recorded off the TV/ borrowed/ bought watched, so hopefully if I succeed then I can get going on the classics. Although new things I want to see appear all the time, so no promises there!

A number of the films I've seen this month have been incredibly enjoyable, and others have been mediocre - but one sticks out as particularly asinine.

Film of the month is a toss up between The Hangover and Drag me to Hell - both cinema visits, leading me to wonder if the experience of going to the movies really does have something to do with how you react to a film, positive or negative? It's worth noting on both occasions that the audiences were great - laughing, jumping or screaming in the right places, rather than ringing phones, yelling or talking. Maybe that has more to do with the types of film we went to see at the cinema - essentially ones where audience participation adds to, rather than detracts from, the experience?

Anyway, I'm having such a hard time choosing between the two that there are going to be two films of the month. I just can't pick between a comedy and a horror movie (albeit with comic moments).

Film not to waste your time on is so much easier. Whilst some of the other films were less than brilliant, The 40 Year Old Virgin was truly awful. The chasm between this and The Hangover is huge. Thinking about The 40 Year Old Virgin still makes me angry. I don't know what else to say about it without producing a string of expletives, so I'll leave it there.

Films(s) of the month: The Hangover/ Drag me to Hell (joint winners)
Film not to waste your time on: The 40 Year Old Virgin

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.