Monday 20th April

Under the Tuscan Sun

Director: Audrey Wells
Year: 2003
Stars: Diane Lane, Sandra Oh, Lindsay Duncan

I wasn't expecting much from this. It being the third film of the day, it was more of an excuse to sit and stare at the screen when feeling ill than an attempt to truly take in a film. Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised - it turned out to be the most memorable of the day's three films.

I'd been uninspired by the TV guide's comments, which had claimed that basically, the film was a load of old rubbish. Well, I'm guessing the reviewer was in a particularly bad mood that day. Because if you were, this is probably a film that would make you more angry with the world - it's just too life-affirming. That might make you think "cheesy, then", but not really.

Under the Tuscan Sun is about an American woman who gets divorced after years of marriage, and how she copes with that. Her way to cope is, in fact, to randomly buy a Tuscan villa when on a tour of Italy. The majority of the film is about how she adjusts to life in Italy, and the effect that buying the villa has on her life.

It's not a fast film, and not one to be rushed over. As long as you have a couple of hours spare, it's the perfect film to sit back and enjoy - and yes, even have a glass of wine with it. It's set in Italy, after all. Just don't come to it in a bad mood.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.