Monday 20th April

Robots

Director: Chris Wedge, Carlos Saldanha (Co-director)
Year: 2005
Stars: Ewan McGregor, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Robin Williams, Mel Brooks, Greg Kinnear (all voices)

I had seen snippets of this over the Easter weekend, but not enough of the film to really know what was going on. So I figured I should watch the recording of it I had, and judge properly for myself whether it was any good or not - and actually get to pay attention to the plot instead of just random clips!

Unfortunately, after the welcome surprise of Bee Movie, this was a bit of a let down. Don't get me wrong, it's still a much better night in than a lot of the stuff out there, but it just doesn't quite have the storyline or elements of better animated movies - it's no Shrek or Toy Story.

The film begins when the Copperbottoms have a son - Rodney. He decides to go to Robot City to track down Bigweld, his hero. When he arrives, he finds that Bigweld has all but disappeared and the person in his place is trying to rid the city of all lower class robots. There's not really much more to the plot than that. If you're under 10, there are some great scenes and it'll probably keep you entertained. If not, you'll find the film is too long for it's story, and whilst there are some great scenes, there are sections you may well be pretty bored sitting through. I probably should have stuck to just watching the random clips.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.