Wednesday 21st January

Slumdog Millionaire

Director: Danny Boyle
Year: 2008
Stars: Dev Patel, Anil Kapoor, Freida Pinto

Everybody from the critics to my friends are saying how good this film is. I was pleased to find out they're not wrong. Although not my favourite film of the last few months (that accolade currently goes to Changeling), it's easily in the top five.

The story is something we've all seen before, if not exactly in this context. It's a rag to riches tale of Jamil, an Indian boy who appears on the Indian version of Who wants to be a millionaire. In fact, it's so similar to some of the British rags to riches stories that we've seen in the past that I found myself imagining it was set in Yorkshire at one point. However, the fact that it isn't makes it a more interesting, and probably far rounder, story than if it had been.

At first I was sceptical of the whole thing - not because I wasn't enjoying it, but simply because it was exactly what I had been expecting and didn't seem to have any surprises in store. Thankfully, although this didn't exactly change, the second half of the movie was far more engaging and I found myself enjoying what is, clearly, a very good movie.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.