Saturday 24th January

Howl's Moving Castle

Director: Hayao Miyazaki
Year: 2005
Stars: Voices of Jean Simmons, Christian Bale, Lauren Bacall, Billy Crystal (Amercian version)

This is the best movie I've seen for a while. I really loved it. I wasn't expecting to, but it was wonderful to see such a different film that kept me so engaged for the entire 2 hours it ran for. It really was an incredibly pleasant surprise for a randomly picked Saturday movie - out of all the ones I had taped over Xmas!

The story revolves around Sophie, a young girl who turns into an old woman when a spell is cast on her by the Wicked Witch of the Wastes. She goes off in search of a witch or wizard to break the curse, and finds Howl's Moving Castle - complete with Howl and a whole bunch of other cursed characters. Created by the same director and studio that made Spirited Away, this, for me, is far the superior film.

Incredibly charming, beautifully drawn and totally engaging, this is likely going to make it onto my top 5 films of 2009 (even if it was released in 2005).

Rating: 5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.